Δευτέρα 9 Ιανουαρίου 2023

Poems by Dr. Jernail Singh Anand (India)

 



THE GENDER IMBALANCE 


If you go to anywhere,.
You find men and men 
And few women
Are they really small in number ?
No, they are forced within
The four walls 

Now 'thankfully', 
Homes have lost two walls
And roof too is cracked
And we can see the eternal  prisoners
Enjoying sunbath and fresh air 
On the outskirts of the darker times 

Men supply the shortages 
Of female colleagues
With a powerful dose
Of imagination. 
Which mind is free 
From feminine fantasies?

If both the sexes had got 
Equal opportunities,
Civilization would have 
Fared (faired)better, 
Than limping  on one leg
The other tied with apron-strings.

They are neither  weaker 
Nor dependent on men, 
Having endured untold suffering 
They have proved their steadfastness
It is time to decide new mores
So that the balance is restored 

Forget it only at your peril 
For every boy, a girl is born 
Somewhere in the world 
No human crook can belie
Gods' sense of balance
Which we men both deny and defy.

Jernail S Aanand 


2.CONTENDING WITH GODS


We are very selfish by nature
And gods are well aware 
Of our penchant 
For loud announcements 
Of our achievements
However mean.

Gods don't take us seriously 
And we often find them
In a state of indifference
Unlistening to our demands 
And unresponsive to our cries
And even our prayers 

The reason is simple 
We never go to gods to tell them
What good we have done.
Generally we are not inclined 
To do good, 
No University teaches us so,

And whenever we go to gods
We are always supplicating, praying 
Bowing our heads, and weeping
Give me this, give me that
And gods wonder 
If they have created a race  of eternal beggars.

Why men can't keep their heads uplifted
Instead of their hands in  prayer?
Gods feel sorry 
Their men are still mentally retarded 
And don't realise 
We have nothing to give them.

Daily they go to malls
Pay, and get the things they require.
And at home, they sit on the dining table 
And eat, what they have cooked 
Things are as simple as that.
You get in life too what you have cooked.

We are eternal Observers of Almighty.
The Custodians of good and evil, 
And ensure every man is served 
What he has cooked,
From the beginning to date.
They are smart if they call it Fate.

Jernail S Aanand 


3. STRANGE LOGIC


A Univ of Law has as its syllabus
The study of the Penal code.

And Univ of Wisdom 
Teaches wisdom by defining Folly.

The rich know what is poverty
And the poor, what is riches.

Life when asked what it is
Invited Death to define it

And the University of Love
Taught what was Hate.

Study of the elements of disintegration.
Is a must in order to stay intact.

Existence can not be defined
Except by juxtaposition with Non-existence.

The binaries shock us when we see
It is the impulse which creates the thoughts.

We do not  think of water,
Until we feel we are thirsty.

And when we need coffee,
It is its lack in our blood which dictates us 

We remember friends in times of need.
And gods when placed in distress.

Jernail S Aanand 


4. UFO


I have never seen myself 
Is the image 
That I see in the mirror ME?

Why I can't see my self 
Why I can't know my self 
Am I alien to my self 

I wonder and am intrigued 
Things that gods keep away 
Tempt me 

I am an unknown entity
Unseen UFO
So self possessed still.

I have yet to determine for sure
Where I live?
Is it is in this figurine?

Do I dwell in my eyes?
Or in my brain?
Or in these procreative organs?

People tell me I am tallish
I am wheatish
And in nature lambish or wolfish 

I am a script which 
Only others can read, 
And interpret at will.

Am I am illusion?
A dry fact 
Or a lilting fiction? 

I wonder how gods will react 
When I land back
After my prospecting on earth.

Jernail S Aanand 



BIO

Dr. Jernail Singh Anand is an Honorary  Member of the Association of Serbian Writers. He is Prof Emeritus in Indian Literature at The European Institute of the Roma Studies and Research Belgrade.  Dr Anand has authored more than 150 books in English poetry, fiction, non-fiction, spirituality and philosophy. He is credited with the theory of Biotext in critical theory. His work has been translated into more than twenty world languages. Author of 9 epics which are regarded as modern classics, Anand has organized 4 International Literary Conferences, latest of them,  in Chandigarh. He was conferred Franz Kafka Laureateship 2022 and International Aco Karamanov Poetry Award 2022 (Mecedonia Northern.skopja)







Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου